Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Saturday Vinyasa Practice

Normally, when I do a six day a week practice I take Saturdays off entirely from any yoga practice and enjoy it thoroughly. This week I had to skip practice twice first on Wednesday because I was experiencing extreme soreness in my sacrum and hip areas and then on Friday because of business travel. And I'm not even going to discuss Thursday's pathetic practice due to lingering soreness in this forum.

So given my abbreviated practice schedule I decided to take a vinyasa class this afternoon. The class was with one of my all-time favorite instructors M who is known for his very intense and challenging classes. Despite normally practicing Ashtanga 5-6 days per week, I find that M's class still has the ability to kick my butt. Despite the humbling experience of having to take multiple rests in child's pose I still enjoyed the class and I think it's a good complement to my ashtanga practice because we generally do different poses and work different muscle groups in that class. I then find that my Sunday morning Ashtanga class is that much more fluid and enjoyable.

When I do take vinyasa classes I sometimes feel like I'm cheating on my ashtanga teacher but it's a comfort to know that I'm not the only one when I see other ashtangis in the class as well. And the thing is that my ashtanga teacher is so far along the path to self actualization that I'm sure he doesn't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment