Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Ashtangi Gods Giveth and the Ashtangi Gods Taketh Away

As usual practice was mostly great last week. I didn't get much attention from my teacher but I take that as a good sign of progress. I was binding up the wazoo, bound both arms and feet (assisted of course)in supta kurmasana and JB even commented on the great form of my back bending. I was on the Ashtanga fast track (to where I'm not exactly sure). But during Thursday's practice that all began to change as I started to experience some pain in my chest area. By the time I got to the marichyasanas I noticed that the twisting caused some pain and discomfort on the right side but other than that I was able to get through the rest of my practice.I treated myself to a massage during lunch because I figured that could only help the situation. The massage felt great and helped loosen some tightness in my shoulders but muscle soreness in my chest was so deep below the surface that the massage had little effect on relieving my pain.

When I woke up on Friday I was hesitant to go to led class but I was determined to go because otherwise I wouldn't practice in the shala again until Wednesday morning due to my work travels. The fundamental and standing postures were fine and I experienced very little discomfort. However, I did decide to omit the jump backs and jump throughs just to be safe. By the time we got to the marichyasanas I realized that I had met my match and was reminded that I wasn't the one in control. I begrudgingly went straight to the finishing postures while fighting back tears. I did a 30 second savasana and then I bolted from the shala.

If the internet is to be believed I'm suffering from a strained/pulled intercostal muscle. The pain is intense at times especially when I take deep breaths, cough, sneeze, blow my nose, get up, lay down, or twist. Other than that I feel fine. I've been self medicating with 800mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours and that seems to help manage the pain. When I get back home from Seattle I plan to see my doctor to get an official diagnosis and to find out how long I will be sidelined. The oddest thing about this injury is that I have what I did to end up in this condition and that's what pisses me off the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment