Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

And Now You're Ready for the Prom

Those were JB's words to me after we finished assisted back bending and he brought my hands to my heels for the first time. Needless to say the feeling was intense and I wanted out nearly as soon as my hands touched as was evidenced by my instinct to lift my head after he placed my second hand. After all was said and don't a shalamate practicing to my right says "that was great, you sounded bit like you were having an asthma attack but overall it was great" and we both got a nice chuckle out of it.

The rest of practice felt very good which I attribute to a lazy home primary on Friday and a nice castor oil bath on Saturday. The only thing that wasn't so pleasant was the length of my practice because I did full primary and second up to bakasana b.

Speaking of bakasana b that pose is not even within the realm of possibilities for me yet. I made about 30 unsuccessful attempts at the pose before calling it quits. Practice and all is coming right?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I understand your frustration with bakasana b. One of my teachers taught me a very, very useful trick and now I have no problem jumping into the posture. Instead of lifting yourself way way up, try keeping your butt low as you "glide" onto your arms, kind of like an airplane taking off. That way, you don't actually need to use as much arm strength, and your arms kind of provide a perfect landing patch for your knees. It's going to feel weird at first because we're not used to having our lower body closed to the ground when we jump into the the next asana. It's kind of hard to explain without demonstrating, but I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Elaine I'm definitely going to have to test it out. I've only been working on the pose for about a week so my frustration levels aren't so high just yet :).

    I'm realizing that I'm not a huge fan of the dynamic movements in the practice such as bakasana b, jumping back with legs in padmasana.

    Eh, it will come.

    ReplyDelete